I don’t know that there are many leadership books or seminars that would draw a crowd with John the Baptist’s view of leadership in the Kingdom of God.
Yet Jesus said of him, “among those born of women there has arisen no one greater than John the Baptist” (Matthew 11:11).
A dispute arose between John’s disciples and someone trying to instigate rivalry between Jesus’ ministry and that of John the Baptist. And John answers with six inviable principles of spiritual leadership…
- A man or woman can receive only what is given from heaven.
- I am not the Christ.
- I am only sent ahead of Him.
- The bride belongs to the Bridegroom.
- My joy comes from attending the Bridegroom and hearing His voice.
- He must become greater; I must become less.
What an incredible response!
No personal ownership of message or mission.
No sense of self-importance.
No dependence on popular acclaim.
No appeal to position or status.
No wonder Jesus Himself praised John.